How To Cancel A Transaction On Wells Fargo?
Many people might not be aware that canceling a transaction is also an available option in the Wells Fargo services.
What is Wells Fargo?
Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a nationwide, diversified, community-based financial services company with $1.7 trillion in assets. Founded in 1852 and headquartered in San Francisco, Wells Fargo provides banking, insurance, investments, mortgage, and consumer and commercial finance through 8,700 locations, 12,800 ATMs, the internet (wellsfargo.com), and mobile banking, and has offices in 36 countries to support the bank's customers who conduct business in the global economy.
With approximately 265,000 team members, Wells Fargo serves one in three households in America. Wells Fargo & Company was ranked No. 29 on Fortune’s 2014 rankings of America’s largest corporations. Wells Fargo's vision is to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially.
Wells Fargo offers several ways to withdraw money from your account, including online banking, mobile banking app, ATM access, and telephone transfer options. If you want to cancel the transaction before it's posted on your Wells Fargo account, you can take any of these options as well. Let's check Wells Fargo's online banking and mobile app first since they're the easiest to use.
1. Wells Fargo Online Banking
If you want to cancel a transaction through Wells Fargo online banking, just follow these steps: Log into your account > Click on "Transactions" under the "Accounts" tab > Locate the transaction you want to cancel and click on "Details" next to it.
2. Wells Fargo Mobile Banking App
The Wells Fargo mobile app allows you to perform almost all banking functions on the go, so canceling a transaction through it is possible as well. You can download the free app from Google Play Store or Apple Store.
Here are the steps you have to follow if you want to cancel a transaction through Wells Fargo mobile app: Open the mobile app > Tap the "More" button which is located at the bottom right of your screen > Select "Transactions" from the options displayed on your screen > Locate and select the transaction you wish to cancel and tap "More" icon on the top right > Tap "Cancel Transaction".
3. Telephone Transfer Cancellations
You can also request to cancel a transaction through telephone, which is an alternative way if you don't have access to Wells Fargo online or mobile app. You just need your banking PIN and must contact the customer service department by calling 1-800-956-4442.
4. ATM or Branch Withdrawals Cancellations
If you make an ATM withdrawal, you can cancel it through any Wells Fargo ATM machine provided your debit card hasn't been returned to you yet. Also, if the transaction has not been posted to your account yet, then canceling it is also possible by visiting any Wells Fargo branch.
Wells Fargo employees are instructed to refund your account in full if you want to cancel a transaction made through ATM or branch by cash, check, or electronic funds transfer. If you cancel the withdrawal via telephone, then Wells Fargo will send you a letter within five business days with the refund details.
If the transaction has been posted to your account before you request for cancellation, then Wells Fargo will void the transaction by adjusting the amount on your next statement.
Wells Fargo will not charge any fee for canceling a transaction through any available option. However, keep in mind that there is also a possibility of a financial loss if you canceled a Wells Fargo ATM withdrawal after it has been processed.
Wells Fargo also offers other Wells Fargo services, such as cashier's checks, certified checks, and transfer money to bank accounts in the US. If you want to cancel a transaction made through any of these options, then check the instructions above based on the method of cancellation.
For example, if you need to cancel a cashier's check, then contact the Wells Fargo customer service department by calling 1-800-956-4442. If you want to cancel a certified check, then visit your branch with the cancellation form and follow these steps:
1. Fill out the cancellation form that is given to you at your bank branch > Have it notarized if it's required (depends on the bank) > Return the form to your account representative.
2. If you want to cancel a transfer money transaction, then contact the Wells Fargo customer service department by calling 1-800-956-4442, and if it's an international transfer, then visit your branch with the cancellation form.
It's important not to post or process the transaction again if you want to be refunded because it can result in financial loss. If you already posted the transaction again, then follow the steps mentioned above based on your desired cancellation method and don't process it again.
If you made a Wells Fargo ATM withdrawal before learning about online banking services and now you want to cancel that transaction, contact the Wells Fargo customer service department by calling 1-800-956-4442.
Wells Fargo doesn't charge its customers for canceling a transaction regardless of the method used. However, keep in mind that there is also a possibility of a financial loss if you cancel an ATM withdrawal after it has been processed.
What are the reasons for canceling transactions at Wells Fargo?
You can cancel a transaction in order to:
- Reverse or correct an incorrect transaction. A customer service representative may be able to process the correction for you if the original transfer has not yet been posted to your account. There is no charge when you ask us to correct an error through SMART, but there might be a fee when doing so through Online and Mobile Banking.
- Stop a transfer you didn't authorize or that went to the wrong person. If the unauthorized transfer is not yet posted to your account, we can usually prevent it from posting to your account and reverse any fees that were charged as a result. If you tell us within two business days of when you learned of the error, there are no fees for this service. If you tell us after two business days, but within 60 calendar days of when the transfer is posted to your account, you might be charged up to $25. After 60 calendar days, there is no limit on the amount of the fee.
- Stop a debit card purchase made with insufficient funds in your bank account. The charge for this service is $35 per occurrence. If you want to stop a debit card purchase that was authorized by the bank, but not yet posted to your account, we can usually prevent it from posting and reverse any fees that were charged as a result.
- Stop a Wells Fargo ATM withdrawal you didn't make if there are sufficient funds in your bank account. You'll be charged a fee of $35 per occurrence, and the ATM transaction won't count towards your withdrawal limit from non-Wells Fargo ATMs.
- Cancel a debit card replacement order to prevent delivery of a new card to an old address. Your original card will no longer work after cancellation, but you'll receive a replacement card with the new expiration date. This service is free.
- Stop a check from being deposited electronically to your account, if you haven't already paid for the item or authorized the payment. You can't cancel a check that has been deposited into your account.
How is the customer support service of Wells Fargo?
Wells Fargo provides customers with superior service and convenience by delivering tailored products and services to fit their financial needs. The company is committed to serving North America's most important market: consumers and small businesses in the U.S. and Canada.
A shared suite of services helps customers find more ways to manage their accounts, pay bills, send money, make investments, and more. Wells Fargo has approximately 80 million active customer relationships throughout its U.S. operations.
The website offers the following key benefits:
• 24/7 online account management options, including bill pay and check deposit. You can also see your balance, transfer money between accounts, set up alerts for low balances or large withdrawals, receive e-mail notifications for certain events (like when checks clear), and find ATMs and branch locations.
• Mobile access: Take control of your money anytime, anywhere with Wells Fargo Online and the Wells Fargo Mobile app for your Android or iPhone. Check balances, make transfers, pay bills and locate ATMs – all from your smartphone.
'Wells Fargo provides customers with superior service and convenience by delivering tailored products and services to fit their financial needs.'
Also, you can cancel any transaction on Wells Fargo, including transactions you didn't authorize or that went to the wrong person. Just call customer support at 1-800-956-4442.