Already Have An Account?

Please provide a valid email that is no more than 64 characters long.

One More Thing ...

Please confirm the following before we create your account.

First NameLast NameYear Of Birth

Is this information correct?


We're Sorry ...
Unfortunately, you are ineligible to join Salt® at this time.
This window will close automatically.

Forgot Your Password?

Just give us your email address.

Please provide a valid email that is no more than 64 characters long.

Still need help? Contact Us

Thank you.

Please check your email for password reset instructions.

All Done

Create Your Free Account

Please enter your name.
Please enter your name.
Please provide a valid email that is no more than 64 characters long.
Your password should be between 8 and 32 characters long.

Please select your year of birth.
This field is required.
Need help? Contact Us.Already registered? Log inLog in.

Thanks For Joining Salt!

Hang on while we create your account ...


      Loan Discharge Application: Total And Permanent Disability

      If you're unable to work due to injury or illness, you may be eligible to have your federal student loans discharged. If eligible, this means you wouldn't be responsible for any further payments.
      Updated: July 8, 2016

      How To Qualify

      There are three ways to qualify for total and permanent disability discharge (TPD):

      1. Doctor Certification: A doctor must certify that you are unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity due to a medical condition that meets one of the following conditions:

      • Can be expected to result in death.
      • Has lasted for a continuous period of no less than 60 months.
      • Is expected to last for a continuous period of no less than 60 months.

      2. Veteran Affairs Certification: The Secretary of Veteran Affairs (VA) must certify that you cannot work because of a service-connected disability or illness.

      3. Social Security Benefits: Borrowers may be eligible if they qualify for Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) or Social Security Income (SSI) benefits. However, the Social Security Administration (SSA) reviews individuals for SSDI and SSI in different timeframes depending on how severe the disability is. To be eligible for discharge, you must qualify to have your benefits reviewed every 5 to 7 years. This is known as "Medical Improvement Not Expected" or MINE.

      What Loans Are Eligible?

      All federal Stafford, PLUS, Perkins, and Consolidation loans are eligible. Your loan responsibility if you are a co-signer or endorser on any PLUS or Consolidation loans would be dischargeable as well.

      How Do I Apply?

      Go to to get the discharge form. The site has additional information about how to fill out this form and how the discharge process works.

      Once you begin the application process, you will automatically be placed in forbearance for 120 days. During that time, no payments are due. You must complete and submit your application within this 120-day period. If you do not, your loan will automatically go back into repayment, and any interest that accrued during the forbearance will capitalize.

      If your doctor is certifying your application, your doctor will have to fill out Section 4 of the form. Once your doctor has filled out Section 4, you must finish submitting the form within 90 days.

      If you are a disabled veteran or receive SSA benefits, you can provide a copy of your VA disability paperwork or SSA award instead of the doctor's portion of this form. You still need to fill out the other parts, though.

      Be sure you fill the form out carefully and completely, because it cannot be processed if it is not complete.

      Once you and/or your doctor have completed the form, submit it to:
      U.S. Department of Education
      PO Box 87130
      Lincoln, NE 68501

      No payments are due once it has been confirmed that your application has been received and is being reviewed.

      Proactive Outreach

      In April 2016, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) began proactively reaching out to borrowers who may be eligible for a TPD discharge. They do this on a quarterly basis. ED works with the SSA to identify borrowers who receive Social Security disability payments and have the designation "Medical Improvement Not Expected."

      Because ED certified these borrowers' disability status, they get to bypass the documentation typically needed to prove their eligibility. Instead, they simply sign and return their application to receive this discharge. If a borrower does not send a completed application after 120 days, ED will reach out to them again.

      Post-Monitoring Period

      If you qualify by doctor certification or SSA award, you will be placed in a 3-year post-monitoring period after your application is approved. Your loan can be reinstated during this period if you:

      • Receive a new federal student loan or TEACH Grant.
      • Earn more income than 100% of the federal poverty guideline based on a family of two for your state.
      • Don't return any federal student loan or TEACH Grant disbursements made to you after the doctor's certification or submission of your SSA award.
      • Receive a notice from SSA saying that you are no longer disabled.
      • Receive a notice that your disability review will no longer be every 5 to 7 years. Note: You may apply for TPD discharge through a doctor’s certification if this occurs.

      Veteran applicants don't have a post-monitoring period.

      Effective Date

      For doctor's certification, your loans would be discharged as of the date that the doctor signed the form.

      For Veteran Affairs certification, your loans would be discharged as of the date that you incurred the injury or illness that caused your disability. This can even be before your loans were borrowed—meaning it's possible that your entire loan could be discharged and payments that you made could be refunded back to you.

      For Social Security benefits, your loans would be discharged as of the date that your application was received.

      Solicitud de Condonación de préstamos: Discapacidad Total y Permanente

      If you're unable to work due to injury or illness, you may be eligible to have your federal student loans discharged. If eligible, this means you wouldn't be responsible for any further payments.
      Actualizado: 8 julio 2016

      Hay tres maneras de calificar para obtener una condonación por discapacidad total y permanente:

      1. Certificación médica: Un médico debe certificar que eres incapaz de realizar cualquier actividad sustancial lucrativa debido a una condición médica que:

      • Pueda provocar la muerte, o
      • Haya perdurado por un período continuo que no sea menor a 60 meses, o
      • Se espera que perdure por un período continuo que no sea menor a 60 meses.

      2. Certificación por Asuntos de Veteranos: El Secretario de Asuntos de Veteranos (VA, por sus siglas en inglés) debe certificar que no puedes trabajar debido a una discapacidad relacionada con tu servicio militar.

      3. Prestaciones del Seguro Social: A partir del 1 de julio de 2013, si recibes un Ingreso por Discapacidad del Seguro Social (SSDI, por sus siglas en inglés) o Ingreso del Seguro Social (SSI, por sus siglas en inglés), la Administración del Seguro Social (SSA, por sus siglas en inglés) revisará tu elegibilidad para prestaciones cada 5 a 7 años.

      ¿Qué préstamos son elegibles?

      Todos los préstamos federales Stafford, PLUS, Perkins y de Consolidación son elegibles. También se puede exonerar tu responsabilidad para con el préstamo si eres aval o endosante en cualquier préstamo PLUS o de Consolidación.

      ¿Cómo puedo solicitarlo?

      Ve a para obtener un formulario de condonación. El sitio cuenta con información adicional sobre cómo llenar el formulario y cómo funciona el proceso de exoneración.

      Después de empezar el proceso de solicitud, se te colocará en período de gracia por 120 días. Durante ese tiempo no deberás ningún pago.

      Si tu médico va a certificar tu solicitud, él deberá llenar la Sección 4 del formulario. Una vez que tu médico haya llenado la Sección 4, tendrás 90 días para enviar el formulario.

      Si eres un veterano con discapacidad o recibes beneficios de la SSA, puedes presentar una copia de tu documentación de discapacidad de VA o la concesión de la SSA en lugar de la parte de este formulario que debe llenar el médico. Aun así deberás llenar el resto del formulario.

      Asegúrate de llenar todo el formulario con cuidado, ya que no es posible procesarlo si no está completo.

      Después de que tú y/o tu médico completen el formulario, envíalo a:

      Departamento de Educación de los Estados Unidos
      PO Box 87130
      Lincoln, NE 68501

      No deberás ningún pago mientras se revisa la solicitud.

      Período posterior a la comprobación

      Si calificas gracias a una certificación médica o concesión de SSA, tendrás que pasar por un período posterior a la comprobación de 3 años tras la aprobación de tu solicitud. Tu préstamo puede ser rehabilitado durante este período si:

      • Recibes un nuevo préstamo estudiantil federal o un apoyo económico de TEACH.
      • Obtienes un ingreso superior al 100% de los parámetros de pobreza federales señalados para una familia de dos integrantes.
      • No regresas ningún desembolso de préstamo estudiantil federal o apoyo económico de TEACH realizado después de la certificación médica.
      • Recibes una notificación de la SSA especificando que ya no eres discapacitado.
      • Recibes una notificación de que tu revisión de discapacidad ya no se llevará a cabo cada 5 a 7 años.

      Los solicitantes veteranos no tienen un período posterior a la comprobación.

      Preguntas frecuentes

      P. Solicité una condonación por TPD antes del 1 de julio de 2013 pero aún no me han dado una respuesta.

      R. El acreedor revisará y procesará las solicitudes recibidas antes del 1 de julio de 2013. Este puede ser tu prestamista, agencia garante o administrador de préstamos Direct Loan. Para recibir actualizaciones debes ponerte en contacto con la persona o entidad a quien enviaste tu solicitud por TPD inicialmente.

      P. En el pasado solicité una condonación por TPD pero fue rechazada. ¿Puedo enviar mi solicitud de nuevo ahora que la Discapacidad del Seguro Social se considera un estado que califica?

      R. Sí. Los prestatarios pueden volver a enviar su solicitud para una condonación por TPD cuando haya nueva información disponible acerca de su discapacidad. Las nuevas normativas que permiten condonaciónes por TPD debido a algunas condiciones de discapacidad del Seguro Social (SS) entran en esta categoría.

      P. ¿Dónde puedo adquirir una solicitud de TPD?



      Was This Useful?

        Complete Your Salt Courses Profile