Already Have An Account?

Please provide a valid email that is no more than 64 characters long.

One More Thing ...

Please confirm the following before we create your account.

First NameLast NameYear Of Birth

Is this information correct?


We're Sorry ...
Unfortunately, you are ineligible to join Salt® at this time.
This window will close automatically.

Forgot Your Password?

Just give us your email address.

Please provide a valid email that is no more than 64 characters long.

Still need help? Contact Us

Thank you.

Please check your email for password reset instructions.

All Done

Create Your Free Account

Please enter your name.
Please enter your name.
Please provide a valid email that is no more than 64 characters long.
Your password should be between 8 and 32 characters long.

Please select your year of birth.
This field is required.
Need help? Contact Us.Already registered? Log inLog in.

Thanks For Joining Salt!

Hang on while we create your account ...

  • 3m.

    How To Determine If You're A Dependent Or Independent Student

    The government has clear rules to define whether you're a dependent or independent student. Your status determines how you complete your FAFSA and how much financial aid you're eligible to receive.
    Updated: October 3, 2017

    What You'll Learn

    • How to tell if you’re an independent or dependent student
    • What to do if you can't get your parents' financial information.
    • How to request a dependency override.
    Students raising their hands in a classroom

    College students have all sorts of different living arrangements. Some students live with their parents or receive financial support from them, but these aren't the only factors that define your dependent or independent status. You'll need to figure out your dependency status before applying for financial aid, because it plays a major role in determining how much funding you qualify for.

    Living independently from your parents and receiving no financial assistance from them isn't enough to be considered independent—at least not by federal financial aid standards. There are strict rules that dictate your independent or dependent status, and knowing them could mean a big difference in your financial aid situation.

    Independent students can apply for financial aid without including their parents' financial information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). They may also be eligible for more financial aid money than dependent students. But how do you know your status?

    How To Qualify

    Per the U.S. Department of Education (ED), you must meet at least one of these criteria to be considered independent:

    • Be at least 24 years old by December 31 of the award year
    • Be legally married (this includes legally performed same-sex marriages, regardless of where you live)
    • Be an orphan (both parents are deceased), be a ward of the court, or have been in foster care at any time since you turned 13
    • Be a graduate or professional studies student
    • Be a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States or serving on active duty for purposes other than training
    • Have legal dependents other than a spouse
    • Be an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship
    • Be legally determined to be an unaccompanied homeless youth

    What To Do If You're In An Exceptional Situation

    Colleges and universities understand that students' family situations can be complicated. If you don't meet any of the above criteria, you may still be able to be considered independent if you have an unusual situation that impacts your parents' ability to complete the FAFSA. You'll need to contact your school's financial aid office about a process called a "dependency override," which allows students to appeal their dependency status.

    The dependency override was created for students with special circumstances, like being abandoned by their parents in early childhood, being unsafe to approach their parents, or having parents who are incarcerated. The circumstances must be significant for a dependency override to be granted, so you'll have to provide extensive documentation. Your financial aid office will be able to tell you which forms to provide. Just remember that the decision to grant or refuse a dependency override is up to the discretion of the financial aid office.

    The federal government takes this matter very seriously, as independent students generally receive more financial aid funding than dependent students. This is because dependent students are assumed to have the financial support of their parents or other family members. Generally, students who live independently from their parents—even if their parents don't provide any financial support—are still considered dependent until they are 24.

    How To Request A Dependency Override

    If you feel that you may be eligible for a dependency override, be prepared to deliver authentic documentation to prove that you can't provide your parents' financial information on your FAFSA. Photos, faxes, or copies of documents will most likely not be accepted. For example, if your birth certificate is currently in another state or country, you'll have to make arrangements to get it in your possession.

    If you have any questions, contact your financial aid office for information about the dependency override process.

    Actualizado: 3 octubre 2017
    Students raising their hands in a classroom
    Was This Useful?


      Want To See More? It's Free!

      Get access to all the tools, articles, and resources Salt® has to offer—for free.

      Complete Your Salt Courses Profile