Already Have An Account?

Please provide a valid email that is no more than 64 characters long.
Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? SIGN UP HERE!

One More Thing ...

Please confirm the following before we create your account.

First NameLast NameYear Of Birth

Is this information correct?


We're Sorry ...
Unfortunately, you are ineligible to join SALT™ at this time.
This window will close automatically.

Forgot Your Password?

Just give us your email address.

Please provide a valid email that is no more than 64 characters long.

Still need help? Contact Us

Thank you.

Please check your email for password reset instructions.

All Done

30 Seconds. One Smart Step.

Create Your Free Account

Please enter your name.
Please enter your name.
Please provide a valid email that is no more than 64 characters long.
Your password should be between 8 and 32 characters long.

Please select your year of birth.
Please select your graduation year.
This field is required.
Need some help? Contact UsAlready registered? Log in here.

Creating your account...

  • 4m.
  • Save

    4 Education Tax Credits And Deductions For College Students

    College students and new grads can take advantage of tax credits and deductions that reward them simply for paying for (or repaying) their educations.
    By H&R Block - Updated: January 16, 2015

    What You'll Learn

    • The difference between a tax credit and a tax deduction.
    • The value of each option for students and new grads.
    • Where to learn more about these benefits. 

    4 Education Tax Credits And Deductions For College Students

    This article was provided by H&R Block and H&R Block Dollars & Sense. SALT™ has teamed up with these organizations to help students and alums find ways (like education credits and deductions) to borrow and repay student loans in a way that works for them.

    College students and recent grads can receive money just by paying for school. Seriously! And it's easy, too—all they have to do is claim one of these education tax credits or deductions on their federal income tax return.

    You may think "filing taxes" and "easy" don't belong together. However, we broke down your four main options to help you better understand them. You can't claim both education credits or a credit and the tuition and fees deduction in the same year, so crunch the numbers or talk to a tax professional to figure out which puts the most money in your pocket.

    Tax Credit Options

    Tax credits increase your savings by decreasing money you owe the government.

    For instance, if you owed $4,000, a credit of $2,500 would shrink your bill to $1,500. Even better? Any refundable portion of a credit that exceeds what you owe goes straight to you. Students have two tax credit options to choose from: the American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit. 

    Option #1: American Opportunity Credit

    Whom it's for: Students can use this credit during the first 4 years of their post-secondary education (sorry, grad students—you probably won't qualify). In addition, eligible students must:

    • Not have a drug conviction.
    • Not have already claimed this credit or the former Hope Credit for 4 years.
    • Be enrolled in at least half of a full workload for one academic period during the year.
    • Be a candidate for a degree, certificate, or other recognized educational credential.

    How much it's worth: This credit covers 100% of your first $2,000 of qualified expenses and 25% of the next $2,000 of qualified expenses, for a maximum credit of $2,500. If the credit brings the amount of tax you owe to $0, you can have up to $1,000 refunded directly to you!

    Expenses that qualify: Pretty much any expense required for enrollment and attendance. These include tuition, fees, and any course materials (including textbooks) that you paid during the tax year.

    Option #2: Lifetime Learning Credit

    Whom it's for: Students who don't meet the requirements for the American Opportunity Credit, including grad students.

    How much it's worth: The credit is nonrefundable—so you won't see any cash in your tax refund from it. It has a maximum yearly value of $2,000 or 20% of up to $10,000 of qualified expenses. While you can claim this credit an unlimited number of times, you can only claim it once per year—regardless of how many students are on your tax return.

    Expenses that qualify: You can claim this credit for qualified expenses for post-secondary degree programs or for programs taken to acquire or improve job skills. Qualified expenses generally include all costs to enroll in/attend an eligible educational institution.

    Things like books, supplies, and equipment generally do not qualify unless you must pay the school directly for them as a condition of enrollment.

    Tax Deduction Options

    Tax deductions increase your savings by decreasing the income that the government taxes you on.

    For instance, say you earned $35,000 in taxable income this year. Qualifying for a $4,000 deduction would decrease that taxable income to $31,000. That’s $4,000 that you don’t owe any taxes on!

    Students have two tax deductions available to them: the tuition and fees deduction and the student loan interest deduction. 

    Option #1: Tuition And Fees Deduction

    Whom it's for: Any taxpayer who paid qualified education expenses. However, you are ineligible if you have a filing status of "married filing separately" or if another person can claim an exemption for you as a dependent on his or her tax return.

    How much it's worth: This deduction covers 100% of qualified higher education expenses up to $4,000. The actual maximum you qualify for will depend on your modified adjusted gross income (AGI). 

    Expenses that qualify: Generally, qualified expenses include all costs that you have to pay in order to enroll/attend an eligible educational institution.

    Option #2: Student Loan Interest Deduction

    Whom it's for: Any taxpayer who paid interest during the year on a qualified student loan.

    How much it's worth: You can deduct up to $2,500.

    Loans that qualify: Generally, only loans taken out to pay for qualified education expenses are eligible. Qualified expenses generally include the total cost of attending an eligible school of higher education (as either an undergraduate or a graduate student), as well as tuition, fees, room and board, books, supplies, equipment, and any other necessary expenses.

    In addition, you must have paid for or incurred these expenses within a reasonable amount of time from when you took out the loan. The expenses also must have been for your education during an academic period when you were an eligible student.

    Learn More

    Each year, the IRS publishes information on tax benefits for education. You can check out Publication 970 to learn more.

    Por H&R Block - Actualizado: 16 enero 2015

    4 Education Tax Credits And Deductions For College Students

    Was This Useful?


      Join The Discussion

      Gain The Money Knowledge To Spend And Save With Confidence

      Join SALT™ to access this page, as well as exclusive financial tips, tools, and more.

      Sign Up For Free!
      Already a SALT member? Log in here.

      Enrollment Status And School ID

      Please enter a valid reporting id.